Berea, KY Monthly Meeting - May 2015
In 2005, Palestinian Civil Society (a local coalition of over 29 unions and associations, 36 refugee groups, 108 organizations, plus 71 individual members of the Jordanian Parliament and political parties) called for a campaign of boycotts, divestment and sanctions against Israel until it complies with international law and Palestinian rights. http://www.bdsmovement.net/
Berea Friends Meeting (Quakers) responds to that call with hopes to end the ongoing suffering of the Israeli and Palestinian people by calling for substantive negotiations between the Israelis and the Palestinians to address the underlying causes of the suffering, asking individual Friends and other Meetings within SAYMA to:
- Be vigilant in defending any person from violence or hate speech from any source.
- Help the people of Gaza rebuild their community, seeking the cooperation of Israel to facilitate these efforts.
- Request Israeli officials to withdraw all military personnel and check points in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.
- Avoid doing business with international corporations that actively support the military occupation of Palestine.
- Not purchase or use products manufactured in Israeli settlements on Palestinian land.
- Lobby Congress to suspend military aid to Israel, and to consider the proper level of aid only as a result of a peacefully negotiated settlement.
- Publish this Minute broadly.